November updatePosted: November 30, 2015
November focused on supporting and aiding courses. I also following up/transcribing the close readings.
For the course using the gap finding list as their final project, I provided support to the course and instructor. The students enrolled in the course had the option to choose their topic from our gap finding list but were not required to do so. This was in part because the course theme was “critical media literacy” rather than “gender and technology” or a topic more closely aligned with the content thematic of our brainstorming session. From the list of our twenty “gaps,” students chose the following topicsː
- Participatory Culture
- Hashtag activism
- Gender and video games
- Media literacy
Students are currently editing these pages in groups of three. They will complete four assignments for this projectː 1. Wikipedia tutorial, 2. Wikipedia Article Revisions Proposal, 3. Wikipedia Article Edits, and 4. Group Presentation. Their final edits and group presentation are due in December. I supported the instructor and connected groups of students working on topics from our brainstorming session and close reading to the experts for additional support. I made a presentation to this class and assigned readings related to Wikipedia.
This month I also made my a course presentation to a large lecture class taught by one of the participants. In this class, we piloted doing close reading of a Wikipedia page as a class group exercise (which I also describe in greater length in the midway report). Rather than engage the expert in a close reading, this participant wanted to have the reading be done as a class exercise. I was invited as a guest lecturer to her course “Gender and Information Technology.” I assigned readings and a laboratory activity before I came to her course. In the lab, half the class completed a WikiEd tutorial on learning to edit. The second half was instructed to complete the Wikipedia Adventure, however none of the students who tried the Wikipedia Adventure were able to successfully follow the Adventure — and so all students did the WikiEd tutorial.
In the class, in my presentation, I synthesized the readings I had assigned on Wikipedia, described forms of intervention, and after worked with the professor to run a live chat group activity. Students in the course read a Wikipedia page and using the chat platform provided citations from their course materials that would deepen or further enrich the material. This went very well. The students had much to contribute. The major constraint was time, we did this activity for only 20 minutes. However, building an activity around having a “hive” of students who have recently read material on a particular optic make critiques of a Wikipedia page can be very successful. The instructor was interested including this activity in a future iteration of the course over multiple class periods, rather than in one one. The activity does, however, require all students have access to the internet and devices. Not all of the students in her course had this, though some effectively used their smart phones, but hosting such an activity in a lab would be a better idea.